It is the month of Freedom! We will be hearing the phrase, Let freedom ring often during this month of July. There will be many celebrations including family gatherings along with the viewing of sparkly fireworks. Yet, people define freedom in personal ways.
I recently saw a play called A Song for Coretta which was written by the illustrious Pearl Cleage. It was a wonderful tribute to Coretta Scott King and the Oh Freedom song that was sung has stayed with me. I have been singing it around the house because the thought of freedom makes anyone feel lighter and more hopeful about life itself.
In spite of all of the daily tragedies that dot the airwaves, we can all remain encouraged when we acknowledge those small freedoms that we enjoy on a daily basis.
- We have the freedom to laugh!
- We have the freedom to converse with special friends!
- We have the freedom to smile at strangers!
- We have the freedom to breathe in fresh air!
- We have the freedom to take slow walks in the park!
- We have the freedom to listen to the birds sing, the dogs bark and the kids play!
- We have the freedom to hear the waves of the waterfronts flap against the rocks!
- We have the freedom to sit outside and catch some sun!
- We have the freedom to cry and wash away our blues!
- We have the freedom to listen to some good music!
Take a moment and count the many freedoms that you enjoy on any given day and let freedom ring. Oh, sing your song!
Lynn M. July 2, 2016